Pages

March 10, 2012

he asked for Date Squares



For the last 9 months I have been on a weight-loss mission. And for the last 4 months I have stopped consuming all bread products, rice, pasta, you know that "filling complex-carb" stuff. Have i suffered without them? No, actually I just finished my first half marathon, without a single carb-loading day. With such impressive results I am confident that my health is so much better without them that I am through wasting my energy eating them. WOW, hold the phone! Right? Does this means no brownies, or cookies, or muffins, or cakes or................ With my active lifestyle, I can freely enjoy a brownie or cupcake whenever I want. But making them part of my diet/lifestyle is a joke, and it should be for everyone, except people like Steve, and this is where Date Squares fit in.

I Bake for my sweetheart like I am on a mission. My lovely husband is doing his best to gain weight. Yes, you read it right. He is a very active Yoga teacher who spends alot of time in the Hot room and an equal amount of time explaining to people that he is, in fact, healthy. You wouldn't comment on someones weight when they are overweight, because its incorrect social behaviour. But the same feelings are often felt by those asked about their a lack of weight.

Steve is in the best shape of his life, but struggles keeping muscle in certain areas. He requires more calories in his diet to give him the energy needed to increase his weight. From where I stand it seems like an easy fix, just eat more. Steve doesn't see things so simply, because simple isn't healthy. Digestion is the big key word here. Our whole life, we just have one body, so you want to be nice to your organs, and not flood them with tons of solids to process. There is alot of action that happens in your body once food enters the equation, and Steve monitors every step. He remembers the time at which he eats, and spaces his meals, and even beverages, out according to Ayurvedic principles of diet. Now I'm no expert, but if you know Steve, he would love to sit and chat all about it with you.

He is so talented in the kitchen now, that he practically makes all his own meals. When I cook, he often spoons a bowl full for himself and then puts things in it like asafoetida. No matter how much he cooks for himself, he still Loves my bake goods. A die-hard sweet tooth on this man.

This morning while we waited in line at Starbucks eyeing up the calorie bombs in the display case, I told him to close his eyes and think of anything and I would bake it for him. Without hesitation he said Date Squares, probably because he picked up a tub of honey dates the other day and there was a plate stacked full of them in the case in front of him, but either way, his wish is my command. But not in an archaic chauvinistic way.

I am excited to say that coming up on Mylk and Beans you will see more and more Raw&Fresh recipes, Raw&Dehydrated things and fun life lessons that I learn along my path. I am feeling better than I have my whole life, with energy flowing out in so many directions I am just now channeling it once again into my wrighting and photography. I write this for people who like to feed off others excitement, because that is why i surf food blogs, and design blogs. I like to absorb what I see and hear. I like to get excited about things, and pass on new things I've learned. Nutrition is of the UP MOST importance in my life right now and will be for the rest of my days. You will see that reflected here. I will post things like Date Squares for times when you want to share and indulge, but I will also share the most simple nutritional food.

I hope you check in from time and time and see what we are eating over here, Its always good!


Date Squares, adapted from the lovely Anna Olson

Date Filling
2 cup honey dates, pitted
1 cup Thompson raisins
1 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup water

Crumble
2 1/2 cup rolled oats
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp each cinnamon, ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp each cardamon, allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, melted

1 Tbsp granulated maple sugar ( or maple syrup)

Method
  • For the Date Filling, in a small pot, bring all the ingredients to a boil. Set aside to cool while mashing with a big wooden spoon. Stir often to help it cool faster.
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8" square baking pan with parchment using 2 strips so you go up and over both sides.
  • For the Crumble, mix all the dry ingredients together except the maple sugar. Set aside while you slowly melt the butter, unless you are a go-getter and you've already done this.
  • Pour the butter into the Crumble mixture and mix forcefully until there is no unadulterated flour left, you know what I mean.
  • Dump half the Crumble mixture into the pan and press it down firmly, like it owes you money. Then spread the date mixture evenly over top. Then sprinkle the rest of the crumble mixture over the filling, NO firmness required, just sprinkle.
  • Then if you are so lucky to have a maple sugar product in your pantry (you should if you are Canadian!) then sprinkle that over top now.
  • Bake in the centre of oven for 40-45 mins, until golden brown. It will make your whole small 1 bedroom apartment smell Incredible, or that just happens to me, you be the judge!
  • Let cool completely, then cut into 16 pieces.
  • This makes a decent Date Rectangle let me tell you!
May your pantry always be full.

No comments:

Post a Comment