Pages

June 10, 2011

my own sweet potatos

There is so much love in my kitchen, that my potato's wanted to give some back.

I keep my spuds in a basket away from the heat of the kitchen, so they sometimes get forgotton. When I came home a few weeks ago, this sweet potato slapped me in the face "Hey look at me!" There was a huge green shoot coming out of the basket. If this was the winter I would have chopped it up, steamed it, and pureed it with garlic for a tasty side dish.

But this time of year........ forget it! I HAVE A GARDEN! (I could shout it from the roof top)




Planting those spuds was better than eating them, why?

LEARNING MOMENT put down the muffin and listen in.
At room temperature a sweet potato is only at its best for about a week. When the potato shoots off a green sprout it us using up the nutritional energy inside the potato to grow. This means less fuel and flavour for you.

These few little potato's might make me a whole potato salad in a few months, but if nothing happens but a few green leaves shooting up from the ground, I will be just as happy.

The journey I take with the garden is just as great as the rewards.


No comments:

Post a Comment