Pages

June 9, 2011

Homemade Deoderant


Recipes are not always for eating, but if you wanted to eat this... There are a few other weird food blogs I could direct you too!

Kicking antiperspirant was the first really great thing I did for my body. Even though I was in the midst of puberty when that little pit-stick was the difference between raising the roof or not, the rash in my armpits spoke louder. From then till now I have tried every brand of natural deodorant on the market, and I've been satisfied. But I still have to reapply about 4 times a day.

This is the first time I have come across a recipe for homemade deodorant. I mean I wasn't looking, I just stumbled on it, but now I'm hooked, I am going to work on this recipe to see if I can change the consistency to something I can mold into a stick, to make it more portable.

Yesterday it was so hot that it was runny like water in my little jar, but today it has solidified into a cream like texture which is way easier to apply. Just a dip of the finger and rub it into my arm pits.

I can;t even joke about how easy this recipe is. Do you have a tablespoon a pot and a spoon? Then you are cooking deodorant my friend!

In a small sauce pan add:

2 TB shea butter
2 TB coconut oil
2TB baking soda
2 TB corn starch (I used arrowroot starch and it worked great)

Heat this mixture over very low heat, about as low as your stove element or flame will go before being off. You just need to melt them together not "cook" them. As soon as the shea butter is melted turn off the heat. At this point you can add some essential oil if you like. I added 4 drops of orange oil and 4 drops peppermint oil. Weird combo eh? A certified aromatherapist mixed this up for me one day and rubbed it on my temples and neck when I was sick, and it was the most uplifting moment. It is my new favourite mix. I poured my creation into a tiny mason jar, I think it was a 1/4 pint.

Let the product cool down and then dip and destinkify yourself!


No comments:

Post a Comment