Pages

March 27, 2011

Flourless Chocolate Tart



Easy Chocolate Almond Tart, with a funny little drawing, is what I saw when my finger landed on a random page in my little black cook book. This is by default Gluten Free, because it is based on 3 simple ingredients sugar, eggs and ground almonds. I don't know where I got this recipe but I glued it in and labelled it for good reason. Its easy and incredibly rewarding. The texture is fluffy and yet brownie like. When pulled out of the oven, it has a pale cookie colour, but once you slice into it, the speckled rich chocolate colour makes you think brownie. I don't know why its called a "tart".

I used a photo of the zest, because if you like orange and chocolate, you DO NOT want to leave this ingredient out. As soon as you bite into this treat you taste the orange. It isn't completely chocolate, it is more like tiny tiny chocolate chips.

The ground almonds I used were from Bob's Red Mill. I had them leftover from some "big cookie plans" at Christmas, but I never made all the cookies I wanted to, so here the bag kept taking up room in my freezer.

TIP: I keep all my seeds and nuts in the freezer in glass jars to keep them fresh longer.



3/4 chocolate chips, i used PC Decadent
3/4 cup brown sugar, not packed
4 eggs
zest of 1 orange, chopped up finely
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups + 2 Tbsp ground almonds
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

  • Preheat Oven to 375 degrees F (190C) Grease and line the bottom of a 10" spring form cake pan.
  • Pulse chocolate chips and 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor to grind finely but not melt.
  • Whip remaining sugar with eggs, zest, and vanilla until pale and thick, about 5 mins. Use a hand blender or stand mixer for this, if you can.
  • Fold in chocolate, ground almonds and melted butter just until combined.
  • Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40-50 mins, until a tester inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let cool completely in pan, then slice and serve.

1 comment:

  1. is this where i leave comments/questions?
    if not, there should be a FAQ page/how to page....
    my question is...
    what stock items should i have in my kitchen?
    for me personally, i have:
    sesame oil
    garlic
    sea salt
    hot mustard
    fresh basil
    ginger
    braggs

    but i don;t really know how/what else to add? i can;t see myself buying ghee, but other stock items/ideas would be nice to know.

    ReplyDelete