Pages

April 10, 2011

Granissimo and breakfast



I have never seen this before. It is a mix of Black quinoa, millet, amaranth, red lentils and long grain brown rice. The grains are all organic and gluten free by default. So yesterday I followed the instructions to cook it, 1 cup Granissimo to 2 3/4 cup broth. What I ended up with was enough grains to feed an army! It tripled in size and cooked up perfectly. But it was just a giant pot of grains, so I didn't know what to do with it. So there it sat.

We were going to eat it for dinner, but the way the day went, we ended up eating banana's with peanut butter and cereal. It was a lazy day but I had just finished working a 7 day stretch and my allergies were going nuts. It was a nice day to enjoy the sun and sit around.

This morning for breakfast, is where the Granissimo took centre stage. I pulled out the Tupperware dish from the fridge, turned the heat on high under my cast iron pan, and started forming patties with the grains. I didn't add anything to them, they have a dense sticky consistency that held up in the frying pan. I flipped them a few times and pressed them down onto the hot oiled skillet until they were crispy and heated all the way.
I love tomatoes sauce with eggs, so I started a little pot of sauce leftover from pizza the other day. Since I was frying the grain patties, I wanted the eggs to be a little lighter, so I poached them. Just a pinch of salt and pepper and breakfast was served. We ate outside on our deck, with slippers and our warm beverages, we wait for spring to ramp up and welcome summer.




We both can't figure out how all these grains, with different cooking times, all managed to work together so well in one pot. With 15grams of protein per serving, no one reading this should wonder where vegetarians get their protein from.

Grains are one of the least expensive things you could ever buy, that give you so much in return. Grains are seeds, the are alive. If you soak them in water, they will sprout green life and then you can eat them. If you soak them in water, blitz them in a blender, strain, you have grain milk. You can boil them, toast them, stew them.....

Get into the grain!

No comments:

Post a Comment