Pages

April 4, 2011

My Pantry

I love this topic. When you have a stocked pantry it is easy to just whip something up without having to go to the grocery store.
There is no use in having pantry items that you don't like eating, or don't know how to use. Use this list as a jumping point.

I have ordered the book Urban Pantry so I can streamline my pantry even better. I have aspirations to do my own preserving, more than just jam!


I hope this book comes soon!

I also registered today for a Bread Making course at Mohawk College. It is all a worthy investment of my time and money.


In my pantry I always have...

OILS & ACIDS

  • vegetable oil (good for frying, high smoke point)
  • olive oil
  • apple cider vinegar
  • Rice vinegar
  • Tamari or soy sauce
  • Franks Red hot sauce
  • always have a bottle of white wine on hand!
SPICES
  • thyme
  • herb d provence
  • fennel seeds
  • tarragon
  • ground ginger
  • cinnamon
  • cardamon
  • ground cumin
  • chili powder
  • cayenne
  • gomasio (a sesame seed, seaweed mix. comes in a shaker)
  • poultry seasoning (makes things taste like thanksgiving)
  • black peppercorns (in grinder)
  • sea salt
... and a million more, but I've built up my collection from needing to use a certain spice in a certain recipe. Then since I have it, I start adding it in to everything randomly and find that random spice mixes are always good, if you start small. The ones I listed are ones we run out of regularly

SYRUPS & PASTE & BUTTER

  • maple syrup
  • raw honey
  • agave syrup
  • miso paste (refrigerated)
  • red curry paste (refrigerated)
  • tahini-peanut butter
  • almond butter
  • unsalted regular butter
  • vegetable broth cubes **always useful!DRY GOODS
SEEDS, NUTS & GRAINS
  • pumpkin, sunflower, flax and hulled hemp seeds (kept in freezer)
  • cashews, almonds, walnuts, pecans and pine nuts (kept in freezer)
  • pasta
  • soba noodles
  • long and short grain brown rice
  • arborio rice (for risotto etc.)
  • wild or black rice
  • quinoa
  • barley
  • chickpeas (soak over night, then boil to cook)
DRIED FRUIT
  • raisins (sultana, golden)
  • dried cherries
  • unsweetened shredded coconut
  • dates
  • figs
  • prunes (dries plums)
CANS
  • coconut milk
  • all kinds of beans
  • tuna
  • cat food, hahaha
FLOURS
  • whole wheat
  • all purpose
  • spelt
  • gluten free all purpose
  • coconut
  • almond (which is actually ground almond meal)
  • quinoa
  • chocolate chips, mini and regular sized
  • chocolate bars (for melting)
BAKING
  • baking soda
  • baking powder
  • arrowroot starch (like cornstarch)
  • xanthan gum (for gluten free recipes)
  • vanilla extract
  • brown sugar
  • instant dry yeast

What do you aspire to?

1 comment:

  1. I aspire to use my creative energy in all aspects of my life. You are definitely a huge inspiration into that:)xo

    ReplyDelete